Because "Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering---and it's all over much too soon." Woody Allen

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Exhaustion: The Story of My LIfe

I can't remember any point in my life in which I have been so incredibly exhausted. I'm not just tired; it's beyond that. At this point I don't know how I am still going (or even awake at this hour). Teach for America is without a doubt one of the most challenging experiences I have ever undertaken...and I haven't even met my students yet.

However on a brighter note, and perhaps the only thing keeping me sane right now, was my celebration of Independence Day. I had no intentions of making the 1.5 hour commute into Manhattan from Queens to celebrate yesterday. (Especially when we had class from 7am until 3pm). Yet after a friend invited me to go out with a couple of her friends, I couldn't refuse. My friend Jenna and I met up with a couple guys who live in lower Manhattan and went to a great little place in the West Village with open air windows. I'm still getting used to the expensive nightlife here. 9 dollars for a salad. 6.50 for a beer. Ridiculous. At that point I was incredibly tired (being 9 pm and all) but we decided to go to a rooftop bar in the Meatpacking District. It was way swanky and we were way underdressed, but there's no better way to view fireworks than at a rooftop bar in Manhattan: fireworks in every direction and the city skyline shining brightly.

And then the morning hit. 5 am wake-up time. We had classes all day long at our schools in the Bronx. I literally have not stopped since 5 am. Pity me, please. I am working with three other teachers to prepare our classroom, develop management techniques, establish discipline and plan lessons for our class. We meet them tomorrow and then we start teaching full time on Monday.

I need to be up in five hours. I miss sleep. But more importantly, I miss my friends and family.

1 Comments:

Blogger a girl said...

hello dear. you write in true blogger-teacher-style. it looks like i will be teaching in chicago. you may view my lax writing about it on my blog.

dear me.

3:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home